| Historic Cities Main Page |
facts in brief
Part of Braun and Hogenberg II-40 map
Maps on our site:
- 1550, Sebastian Munster, Cosmographiae Universalis, 402-403
- 1550, Sebastian Munster, Cosmographiae Universalis, 405
- 1550, Sebastian Munster, Cosmographei..., ccccxciiii
- 1572, Braun and Hogenberg, Civitates Orbis Terrarum, map I-32
- 1575, Braun and Hogenberg, Civitates Orbis Terrarum, map II-40
Facts in brief:
Originally was a Celtic settlement of the Rauraci tribe;
site of a Roman fortification; bishop of Augusta Rarica moved his see here in 5th cen.; university
established here by pope Pius II in 1460; became center of humanism & Reformation in 16th cen.
Courtesy of Getty Thesaurus of Geographic NamesTM
( TGN )
Copyright © 2000
The J. Paul Getty Trust. All rights reserved.
You are visitor no.