Facts in brief:
The city of Passau is located at the confluence of the Danube, Inn, and Ilz Rivers on the Bavarian-Austrian border in southeastern Germany. A Roman outpost was established here on an ancient Celtic site. The town became a bishopric in 739, and was ruled by powerful bishop-princes until 1803, despite citizens' revolts. It was damaged by fire in the 17th century and rebuilt largely in the Baroque style that still characterizes the city today. Noteworthy buildings include the bishop's palace built in 1712-1730, the medieval Oberhaus Fortress built 1219, now a museum, and the cathedral built in 1668 on the remains of a Gothic building. The city was important for trade and shipping in medieval times, famous for its salt trade and the manufacture of knife and sword blades. Today it hosts tobacco, textile, brewing, and bell founding industries. It is also a cultural center with many libraries and a city theater. The 2004 estimated population was 51,000.
Courtesy of Getty Thesaurus of Geographic NamesTM
( TGN )
Copyright © 2000
The J. Paul Getty Trust. All rights reserved.
You are visitor no.