Behind the wall of Philippe- Auguste, up to the Tournelles, were swamps (marais) which gave their name to the district . The Temple, which doesnt exist any more, was the fortified buildings of the Templars, knights of Jerusalem, religious order founded in 1119 and dissoluted in 1312. Magnificent palaces were built here between XVI and XVIIIth century. Near the grande rue du Temple is still located a traditional Jewish district (rue des Rosiers). Now, the Marais is also famous for its homosexual community.