Back to Historic Cities Main Page
| Historic Cities Main Page | Denmark |

Haderslev

facts in brief


Part of Braun and Hogenberg IV-33 map, 1588
Part of Braun and Hogenberg IV-33 map, 1588







Facts in brief:

The town of Haderslev is situated on Haderslev Fiord in southeastern Jutland, Denmark. First documented in 1228, it received its charter in 1292. It was an important town in medieval times but declined during the 15-century wars between Holstein and Schleswig. It was ruled by Prussia, then by Germany from1864 to 1920, when a plebiscite returned it to Denmark. Surviving historic architecture features the 15th-century Church of Our Lady, built upon and including an earlier Romanesque church. The modern town is a thriving commercial and industrial center and seaport. Industries include tanning, brewing, and machine shops. There is a grammar school founded in 1567, a teacher's college, the cathedral school, and the Haderslev Art Museum. The 2004 estimated population was 21,200.

Courtesy of Getty Thesaurus of Geographic NamesTM (
TGN )
Copyright © 2000 The J. Paul Getty Trust. All rights reserved.






You are visitor no.