Facts in brief:
The port of Limerick is the largest town and county seat of County Limerick in southwestern Ireland, located on King's Island and both river sides at the mouth of the River Shannon. The early settlement was taken over by the Norse in 812, who made it the capital of their kingdom. Native Irish under Brian Boru ousted the Norse and it remained in Irish hands until the early 13th century, when King John granted it to an Anglo-Norman noble who founded English Town in the settlement and built fortifications. In the 15th century, fortifications were erected around the entire town, comprised of English Town on the old center of King's Island, and Irish Town on the bank of the Shannon. In 1691, William III of Great Britain conquered it. A third sector, Newtown Perry, was established in 1769 on the bank opposite to Irish Town; the three sectors are linked by bridges. Limerick has a protestant Cathedral, built from 1142 to 1180, and a modern Roman Catholic Cathedral designed in Early Pointed style. It was made a county borough in 1888. Industries include flour milling, bacon curing, dairy products, and the Shannon salmon fishery. The 2003 estimated population was 84,900.
Courtesy of Getty Thesaurus of Geographic NamesTM
( TGN )
Copyright © 2000
The J. Paul Getty Trust. All rights reserved.
You are visitor no.